**UPDATE – this post is in the midst of being updated. Stay tuned.
How to Save Big at Publix
By Liza on December 2nd, 2009
(**Publix’s policies will vary by region.**)
· Publix has sale cycles that start mid-week. Depending on where you live, the cycle runs Wed – Tues or Thurs – Wed. (**For my Tampa Bay readers, our sales cycle runs from Thurs – Wed.)
· My website will post each week’s sales highlights. I will highlight the best “deals” and will give you coupon matchups for the sales. The sales matchups will give you links to online coupons and will tell you exactly which Sunday paper the coupons were in. (**I will also give you the link to my favorite website which will list out each and every sale and coupon matchup for Publix’s weekly ad.)
· Buy 1 Get 1 Free (B1G1). One of the best ways to really save big at Publix is to focus on their weekly B1G1 sales. In Florida, we have to buy 2 of the B1G1 items in order to get the second item free. (Other states only have to buy one item and they will get that at 50% off) Publix allows us to use two coupons for B1G1 sales. Always use two coupons for B1G1 sales. When you use two coupons on a B1G1 deal, you get one item for free and the item you pay for is reduced by two coupons!
Toothpaste is regularly priced $3.00 and on sale B1G1.
B1G1 sale makes each tube $1.50
If you use two $1.00 off one tube coupons, the new price is 50 cents per tube of toothpaste. This is 84% savings!
· Publix Store Coupons. Publix will accept a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon on just one item! Publix store coupons have a L.U. # on the bottom. If a Publix coupon has “Manufacturer Coupon” on the top, then it is not a store coupon.
· Publix accepts competitor coupons. Each Publix location has their own acceptable competitors. Some stores accept Target, Winn Dixie, Food Lion, Sweetbay, etc etc. You have to find out what stores your local Publix considers “competition.” (**For my local friends, our Publix’s typically accept Winn Dixie and Sweet Bay coupons as competitor coupons.)
· Sale Cycles last approximately 6 – 8 weeks. When Publix has a great sale, it is smart to stock up on the item and get enough of it to last 6 – 8 weeks until their sale occurs again.
**If you are new to couponing, read my blog “Couponing for Beginners”