*update – May 15, 2018* I had to repost this recipe from a few years ago because it is SO good and it reminds me of summer! This is a light and fresh recipe that is perfect for hot summer nights!
One of my favorite things about belonging to a coop is that every week, I receive a bounty of fruits and veggies that I get to cook and juice with. I like the challenge of finding new recipes like this Caprese Salad recipe. “Insalata Caprese” – literally, the salad from Capri – is a no-brainer if you have tomatoes you want to use up. You can use the cute cherry and orange tomatoes I have in this recipe or you can even use Roma or Plum or even Tomatoes on the Vine. If you use larger tomatoes, just cut them down to bite size chunks! With tomato season coming up, this is an excellent Caprese Salad recipe to keep handy!
Caprese Salad is a dish that stands perfectly by itself or you can pair it with garlic bread or even use it as a side dish for grilled salmon or chicken. Or, toss in cooked pasta that has been refrigerated and you will have a pasta salad! Whatever you preference, use this Caprese Salad recipe as a template and personalize it to make it your own.
1. Slice the tomatoes in half and place in a mixing bowl
2. To the mixing bowl, add in sliced mozzarella
3. Add in sliced basil
4. Sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper
5. Stir all the ingredients together and then top off with a drizzle of EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar
Garlic Bread Instructions
1. Spread a thin layer of butter on sliced bread.
2. Sprinkle bread with garlic powder
3. Toast and then broil bread (for around 5 – 7 minutes until bread is just slightly browned)