New here? Like us on Facebook below:
With fall upon us, I had to repost this great recipe that I shared with all of you last fall! Even though the weather is still warm (okay, HOT) where I live, I am finding myself craving pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin bread, pumpkin coffee… basically anything pumpkin. This recipe is SUPER easy if you are craving pumpkin too! You only need two ingredients take make the cake!
When I first saw this recipe, I immediately thought I was missing something. I mean really. Who makes a cake with just two ingredients? And is the cake even going to be edible? Well, I’m here to report that this recipe ended up turning out really good! The consistency is denser than regular cake (probably because you aren’t using eggs). I would say that it is more of a pumpkin bread consistency. This cake tastes great, made my house smell yummy and impressed hubby. What more do I need than that?
I added a third ingredient by topping the cake with powdered sugar. However, you don’t need to top it with anything. Or, if you are someone who likes toppings, you could melt chocolate chips, pour on some caramel sauce, make a cream cheese topping, the possibilities are endless. The nice thing about this recipe is you can add to it. If you want to throw in some nuts or raisins or chocolate chips into the batter, go for it! In fact, report back to here with any recipe variations you come up with!
- Cake mix goes on sale 2/$4.00 or BOGO quite often. During your store’s next sale, try to match a coupon with the sale to really maximize your dollar. If you get a good deal (cake mix for under $0.80/box), buy more than one box and put it in your pantry to be prepared for last minute moments when you need to make a quick dessert. Check out Addicted to Saving’s coupon database to see the available cake mix coupons.
- Canned pumpkin religiously goes on sale every fall. Because of holiday baking, stores and manufacturers know we are going to need canned pumpkin. Stock up with enough canned pumpkin during the fall season to last you through the upcoming year!
- The cake mix in this recipe is definitely not the most figure friendly. Because we are not adding oil or eggs to the cake mix, we are saving on calories.
- Canned pumpkin (especially organic canned pumpkin) is SUPER healthy. On average, 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin contains 40 calories and contains no saturated fat, trans fat or cholesterol. And, each serving contains 4 g or 16 percent daily value of dietary fiber. I like to keep canned pumpkin on hand year round because it is perfect for those moments when my puppy has tummy trouble. Just 1 teaspoon (or less since my pup is small) of canned pumpkin is enough to make him regular!
1 box Spice Cake Mix
1 15 oz canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 baking dish with no-stick spray
2) Mix cake mix with canned pumpkin. Batter will be thick.
3) Spread batter in cake pan.
4) Bake 25 – 35 minutes until knife comes out clean.
Let cool, top with a topping (if desired) and enjoy!
To see additional recipes posted on Addicted to Saving, go HERE
This recipe was inspired by All Recipes
Subscribe to daily email updates and be entered for a chance to win $50 cash!
This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.