I was given the opportunity to try out Hurst Family Harvest Bean Soups and of course I jumped at the chance! If you have followed Addicted to Saving, you know that I LOVE cooking with beans. They are low fat, high fiber and high protein. AND, Hurst Family Harvest Soups are Gluten-Free which makes me VERY happy!
Hurst Family Harvest has seven different soup mixes to choose from. They are sold at Publix, Whole Foods, Food Lion, MARSH, ingles and more! If you shop at Publix, they are usually priced around $2.99/soup mix. The Chipotle Lime Black Bean Soup (see below for the recipe) has 10 servings. Awesome deal!
Sweet Pepper & Asparagus Black Bean Soup Recipe
**I altered the recipe on the back of the Hurst Family Harvest Chipotle Lime Black Bean Soup to make it vegetarian. Their recipe calls for smoked sausage which sounds amazing! You could very easily alter my recipe below to add either different vegetables, smoked sausage or another type of meat! I love Hurst Family Harvest soups because they are easy to adapt to your eating preferences!
1 Package Chipotle Lime Black Bean Soup
1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
1/2 lb Asparagus (diced)
1 cup Onion (diced)
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic
1 teaspoon Chili Pepper (if desired)
1) Rinse and sort through the beans. Pour beans into a large bowl or pot and cover with 2 inches of warm water. Soak 4 hours or overnight.
2) Drain and rinse beans and discard water.
3) In a soup pot, saute peppers, asparagus and onion in olive oil.
4) Once vegetables are softened, add 7 cups of water and beans. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir periodically.
5) Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. With pot cover, simmer for 60 minutes – stir periodically.
6) Uncover and simmer uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
7) Once beans are fully tender, add seasoning packet. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Serve & Enjoy
And now for the giveaway!One lucky Addicted to Saving reader will win a $25.00 Publix gift card! (Just think of all of the Hurst Family Harvest Soup mixes you can get with $25.00!!)
How to Enter:
1)**Mandatory Entry** Leave your first comment on this post stating which Hurst Family Harvest Soup you would most like to try.
2)**Optional entry** Go HERE to follow Addicted to Saving on Pinterest. Leave a second comment on this post stating whether you are a new or existing follower.
2)**Optional entry** Go HERE to sign up to receive Addicted to Saving’s free Daily Email that is sent out every day around 4:00 pm. Leave a third comment on this post stating whether you are a new or existing subscriber. **Remember by doing so you are automatically entered into a monthly drawing for a $50 Target or Walmart gift card.
**Giveaway ends on or after Sunday, January 13th, 2013 at or after 8 pm EST**
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored by Hurst Family Harvest. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own!