I originally posted this recipe back in 2013. It is still one of my favorite chicken recipes to make! I’m making it for dinner tonight so thought it would be the perfect time to reshare this recipe with all of you 🙂
Chicken Paprika is a comfort meal my mom prepared for our family growing up. My brother loved the chicken so much that sometimes my mom would make this recipe without the sauce. She would give him the browned chicken and he would eat them like chicken nuggets. (So if you have picky kiddos, you might want to make this recipe without the sauce!) About four years ago, I started craving this meal and my mom gave me the recipe. I was shocked at how easy it is to make and at the same time how tasty it is. I always plate this dish with a fresh veggie (usually broccoli, asparagus or green beans) and brown rice.
To make this recipe affordable, purchase boneless, skinless chicken breasts in bulk when on sale for $1.99/lb or less. Freeze your chicken and thaw when needed versus paying full price when needed. Zaycon Foods is a way to save on meat & seafood.
I make this recipe using whole wheat flour (in lieu of white flour) and skim milk (in lieu of whole milk). The sauce thickens nicely with skim. Also – my mom’s recipe includes canned mushrooms and shredded cheese. I don’t use either when I make it.
Recipe: Chicken Paprika
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 3 t Paprika
- 2 t Salt
- Dash Pepper
- 2 lbs Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast cut in pieces
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Large Onion (use more if you prefer)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 can Sliced Mushrooms 3 oz (drained) (optional)
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- 2 oz shredded Swiss or Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) In plastic bag combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
3) Add a few pieces of chicken to the bag at a time. Coat the chicken.
4) Brown chicken on both sides in a large skillet with EVOO. Only use enough EVOO to coat pan and prevent sticking.
5) Transfer browned chicken to plate with paper towel on it to drain excess oil. Reserve drippings in pan.
6) Add onion to drippings in pan and cook until tender.
7) Stir in 4 T flour mixture to pan.
8) Add milk. Cook and stir until sauce bubbles and thickens.
9) Add lemon juice and mushrooms (if desired).
10) Spray PAM in a casserole dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Top with cheese (if desired)
11) Cover with Foil.
12) Bake 30 minutes.
13) Serve with a fresh veggies and rice
- To see additional recipes posted on Addicted to Saving, go HERE