This recipe is a holiday favorite. It’s a fun alternative to green bean casserole. This year I’m making it with frozen broccoli and cauliflower. I’ve grown up having this Crispy Veggie Casserole on every Christmas and every Thanksgiving. The picture above is a bit different from my mom’s recipe. Mainly because I didn’t plan ahead and have the correct frozen veggies to use. But even with my alternate take, it is still SO good. (I used frozen cauliflower and frozen corn. The recipe calls from frozen cauliflower, broccoli and carrots – it is much prettier with the green broccoli and orange carrots.)
- Over the holiday seasons (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter) we will find Campbell’s Condensed Great for Cooking Soups on sale 10/$10 or less. If you match the sale with a coupon, you can very easily get canned Cream of Mushroom soup for under $0.50/can.
- Frozen veggies go on sale quite often. Compare store brands with major brands like Birds Eye and Green Giant. Often the larger brands have better sales than store brands pricing. And, if you use a coupon on a sale, you will get an even better deal.
- This is not the healthiest casserole in the world. You can use low fat sour cream and not notice the difference.
- You can also use low sodium cream of mushroom soup. The French’s onions will give plenty of flavor and saltiness.
- You can also use low fat shredded cheese.
Crispy Veggie Casserole
1 16 oz bag Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots (you are welcome to substitute alternate veggies)
1 can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup Shredded Swiss Cheese (I very seldom have swiss so I usually use cheddar)
1/3 c. Sour Cream
1 can French Fried Onions (I usually use one full large container of French’s Fried Onions.)
Dash Black Pepper
1 jar, 4 oz, Chopped Pimientos (these add a beautiful red color to your casserole)
1) Thaw frozen vegetables
2) Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 2 qt casserole dish with non-stick spray
3) Mix cream of mushroom soup, cheese, sour cream, pepper and half of can/container Fried Onions
4) Combine soup mixture with frozen veggies. Pour into casserole dish.
5) Bake for 40 minutes. Add remaining fried onions to top of casserole.
6) Bake an additional 5 minutes until onions are lightly browned.
Serve & Enjoy